Thursday 23 July 2009

What is Roleplay? Episode Four

Our Guildmaster, Overon is emphatic about Roleplaying. Recently he encouraged Vision of Excellence members towards a simple rule. Say what you need to in party or guild chat but keep /s (‘say’) for in-character dialogue.

For myself I added an extra rule. Be nice.

Like most people I don’t want to be famous for looking down my nose at people. Like everyone I have some real-life friends on the server, and sometimes that entails discussions about real life.

I found it easy to implement Overon’s simple rule, and to encourage others to do the same, without ever needing to mention it.

‘Are you from Sweden?’ someone asked me in /say last night. I replied in /whisper and the entire conversation switched channel without anyone being scolded. Even if it hadn’t, I’d have quietly followed the simple rule without passing judgement on the other person.

Anyone pulling their hair out over the state of role-play on their server might consider how they can quietly lead by example. An appropriate emote or inspiring comment will often stir others to join in the flavour of the moment.

It worries me that many are very quick to define themselves as not being role-players. This feeling is reinforced by the behaviour and complaints of those who consider themselves the ‘real thing’. Such behaviour makes role-playing seem like an unattainable holy grail, available only to those with a degree in Drama.

However I find it hard to believe these ‘non role-players’ do not become as immersed in the experience of adventure and danger as the rest of us. You’d really have to be swimming against the entire stimulus of WoW not to feel some immersion in the experience. We can add to that immersion by staying in character ourselves. That includes not going OOC to complain.

Let’s try to treat everyone as role-players. Lead by example. Not bash those who don’t conform to our own approach (mine or yours) and encourage role-playing by portraying characters that actually have some character.

And be nice!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm this makes me think of something that happened a few days ago...

    I (Kashmira) was standing in Dalaran with my friends Denel and Thundergust. We were about to go to an instance together but for the time being we were just having a bit of fun with some lighthearted rping in /s.

    Thundergust says something like…
    “Wow I am a lucky guy standing between two such beautiful ladies! …but maybe I should make that appointment to see the opticians after all… Do you know where the optician is in Dalaran?”
    Kashmira laughs at Thundergust :>

    Then a well known server rper comes up to us and continues the rp with Thunder…
    “I could have a look at that eye for you… it’s my first time mind… Just keep still while I use my hammer… “ etc

    While this was going on, a disagreement had broken out between guildies in guild chat and as I was the only official officer online at that time I was doing my best to control the situation. At the same time I was getting whispers from other online friends and I was enjoying watching the rp between Thunder and this guy. Denel is the alt of my guild leader Pelenise so she was also taking an active interest in the discussion in guild chat.

    Then this guy who is rping with Thunder says in /s: ((Kash, Denel would it hurt you two to join in with this hardcore roleplaying??))
    I reply: ((Having 3 conversations at the same time atm...))
    Denel says: ((Yes and as I am guild leader I needed to be involved in guild chat))
    He says: ((You guys make me sick)) then: ((Either join in or gtfo))
    Wtf? Me: ((Erm… no))

    Then he leaves… not only was it HIM who broke the rp in that moment but he was pretty nasty about it and if I had intended to join in, after his first comment ‘out of character’, I wouldn’t have done.

    He could easily have drawn us in by saying something to either of us in character but until that point the entire interaction had been between him and Thunder.

    /sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience Kashmira.

    Breaking character to have a moan. It's a very often seen habit.

    Maybe it would help if people imagined they were on a stage. The show must go on and you can't turn around to shout at someone who isn't acting well!

    ReplyDelete